If you love this blog you should buy the book !
I started bone collecting when I was six, and at that time I couldn't find any books to help me. So when Octopus Publishing asked me whether I would like to write a book about bones, based on my blog, I leapt at the chance. This is the book I wish I'd had when I was starting out.
You should buy it. The quickest way is probably through Amazon (UK link here, and US link here). But I recommend asking your local bookshop to order it in. Local bookshops are brilliant, full of great people, and they love your business. If you're in the UK, find your local bookshop here, and ask them to order in "Jake's Bones" by Jake McGowan-Lowe, (ISBN 978-1783250257 in the UK, or 978-1848988521 in the US and everywhere else).
So who has a copy ?
Lots of people - but here are some people you might know.
Yes - that's Sir David Attenborough reading his copy just before we went on live TV together:
Oh, and did I mention Prince William and Kate have a copy for Prince George ?
And here's me showing Chris Packham in his copy that he's mentioned in the dedication.
So what's in it ?
It's about real bones in my collection that I've written about here on my blog. See the fox skeleton here ?
- How to find and recognise bones
- Looking at some of my great skulls from around the world , like my leopard, crocodile and python skulls.
- The biggest bones ever
- Dinosaur bones
- How to start your own bone collection
- ...and my seven golden rules of bone collecting.
- the first announcement of my book deal (March 2013)
- the first sneak peek of it, (July 2013)
- when I finished writing it (September 2013)
- the book launch itself in the UK ! (February 2014)